Special glasses with progressive lenses are an excellent method of correcting presbyopia. Spectacle correction of age-related changes has been used the longest of all methods. It is affordable, effective and budget, so many patients prefer this method. In order for the effect of wearing glasses to deliver maximum benefit and comfort, you need to choose the right progressive lenses and get used to them.
What are progressive glasses
Among the spectacle correction of age-related changes in vision, there are several options:
- “Reading Glasses”. This is an extra pair of goggles designed for close range use only. Consequently, it does not correct myopia, and the patient has to buy more “distance glasses”.
- Bifocal and trifocal glasses. These are options that provide good vision at different distances, but have clearly defined transition boundaries between optical zones. They can be seen visually on the lens, which can cause aesthetic discomfort.
- progressive glasses. Modern aesthetic option, designed in different styles, providing high quality vision and comfort during use.
Progressive lenses for eyeglasses are unique lenses in which the transition between optical zones is smooth. A person easily shifts his gaze from top to bottom, from left to right, far and near.
Benefits of progressive glasses
Progressive glasses are more expensive than other optical options, but they are considered comfortable and have several advantages:
- replace several pairs of glasses at once – their owner sees well at close distances, afar and at medium distances;
- no image jumps due to smooth transition between zones;
- fast focusing of the eye at different distances;
- have a modern design and aesthetic appearance.
Modern manufacturers produce progressive glasses for glasses that can be adjusted to any frame – curved, wide, elongated. The only disadvantage of progressive glasses is the relatively narrow field of view. A person quickly gets used to this nuance.
How to choose lenses for progressive glasses
Before you buy progressive eyeglass lenses, you need to consider individual factors. Serial lenses for glasses are made according to standard parameters. Sometimes this can affect visual acuity. Progressive glasses are best purchased on an individual order. This method provides the most comfortable and sharp vision at any distance.
The main parameters that can affect the quality of points:
- tilt angle of the frame plane (pantoscopic angle);
- the distance from the top of the eyeball to the back surface of the lens of the glasses (vertex distance);
- frame bending angle;
- distance between pupils.
And other features of the structure of the organs of vision.
Also, in the manufacture of individual lenses, you can get additional protection for glasses, for example, from glare, dust, fogging.
How to quickly get used to progressive glasses
To adapt to progressive glasses as quickly as possible, use a few tips:
- Get rid of your old glasses completely.
- At home, practice focusing at different distances. For progressive glasses, “near vision” is a book and a computer screen. “Medium vision” is a TV monitor at a distance of 1-2 meters, “far vision” is a distance of more than 3 meters. Move your eyes gradually in these ranges. At first, this may be uncomfortable. Exercise for 10 minutes 3 times a day.
- Be careful on the steps. In ordinary glasses, the eyes go down when walking up the stairs. In order to clearly see the steps in progressive optics, you need to use the middle zone of the lenses. So keep your head down a bit when going up or down stairs.
- Without glasses, a person looks to the side, shifting his gaze, squinting his eyes. Now you need to turn the head itself to see the object in the lateral field of view.
Watch TV sitting. A lying person uses the close vision zone, and the TV should be watched through the middle optical zone.
- Don’t get behind the wheel right away. Make sure you can easily look at different distances. It is best to sit in the driver’s seat at least a week after you start using progressive glasses.
Usually 2-3 weeks are enough to fully adapt to progressive glasses. The main task is to get used to turning the head more than the eye pupils.
Selection of lenses for eyeglasses in the Eximer center
Before choosing progressive glasses, it is necessary to undergo a complete examination of vision and eye condition. Comprehensive diagnostics using modern equipment is carried out at the Eximer clinic. If concomitant eye diseases are found, the doctor prescribes treatment and may recommend additional methods of correction, for example, for cataracts and glaucoma.
- Progressive eyeglass lenses come in a variety of brands. Eximer offers optics from leading European manufacturers. Its high quality provides a good result of spectacle correction for several years.
- In the Eximer clinic, the selection of glasses is carried out by professional ophthalmologists. Choosing progressive lenses is very difficult – you need to take into account even the slightest nuances of the structure of the eyes. In order for the patient to feel as comfortable as possible in glasses and quickly get used to them, advice from an experienced ophthalmologist is needed.
- The indisputable advantage of the clinic is that our doctors always follow the latest market developments, as well as the innovations of modern optics. As soon as innovative progressive lenses of increased comfort appear, we offer them to our patients. Among the assortment, you can pay attention to spectacle lenses from the French manufacturer Varilux. They are made using unique patented technologies and provide the most pleasant, comfortable and high-quality vision for each patient.
- After the examination, the doctor issues a prescription for progressive glasses, and then the patient decides whether to order them directly at the clinic or contact an optician for manufacturing. Professionals who make glasses to order for the Eximer center perform work of any complexity, taking into account all the nuances of the eye, for example, astigmatism.
Do not forget that presbyopia progresses over the years. And if you settled on spectacle correction, then the lenses need to be changed periodically depending on age. The “older” the eyes become, the higher the “plus” supplement they need. Therefore, visit an ophthalmologist every 6 months to track the dynamics of age-related changes in vision.
Progressive glasses: contraindications
Despite the fact that glasses are suitable for almost everyone, there are a number of contraindications to wearing progressive optics. These are pathologies of the organs of vision:
- Anisometropia. This is the difference in visual acuity in the right and left eyes. Sometimes it is more than 2 diopters, which causes severe discomfort when using progressive lenses.
- Cataracts and glaucoma require additional treatment.
- Strabismus. With this pathology, the parallelism of the visual axes is broken, so a person cannot see the same parts of the lens at the same time. Vision practically cannot adapt to progressive glasses.
- Nystagmus. These are involuntary movements of the pupils, in which a person cannot control the focus of the gaze, a distorted perception of space occurs. Progressive glasses with nystagmus can only cause discomfort.
Therefore, it is important to be examined by a doctor before choosing lenses.
Is there an alternative
If you want to correct vision for presbyopia, you have several options:
- spectacle correction;
- the use of progressive contact lenses that can be fitted to you at the Eximer clinic;
- laser vision correction for presbyopia using additional techniques.
Laser correction of age-related farsightedness is currently available in Ukraine only at the Eximer ophthalmological center. After undergoing this procedure, a person receives high-quality vision at all distances and forgets about optics for many years.
Cost of progressive eyeglass lenses
When you’re looking for progressive eyeglass lenses, the price should match the quality. Do not forget that you have been wearing glasses every day for several years, so saving on progressive lenses is not worth it. Book an appointment with an ophthalmologist at the Eximer clinic: we can help you choose progressive glasses for any budget.