To date, farsightedness in presbyopia can be treated with spectacle correction and correction with contact lenses. Lenses for this disease are selected individually after examination by an ophthalmologist and a prescription.
Is it possible to wear lenses with age-related farsightedness
Age-related farsightedness is an inevitable process, but it can significantly complicate life. If a person used to see normally, then after 40 years he is surprised that he cannot read a book due to lack of vision. Another situation arises when a person has had myopia all his life, and he suddenly begins to see better. In fact, this is a sign of age-related farsightedness, which also needs to be corrected.
A very common question that arises in patients of an ophthalmologist is whether it is possible to choose contact lenses for age-related farsightedness? After all, traditionally, two pairs of glasses or multifocal glasses are used to improve vision at close distances.
The answer is simple: there are special lenses for age-related farsightedness that provide normal vision at different distances, and which can be worn in everyday life without taking off for 12-16 hours.
Correction of presbyopia with contact lenses
So what lenses correct presbyopia? These are multifocal contact lenses in which there are several working optical zones. When looking between zones, a person sees well at any distance.
Today, there are many options for progressive lenses that do not require a clear fixation. A person can calmly rotate his pupils, and not be afraid to get into the “wrong” zone.
Contact correction of presbyopia: advantages and disadvantages
The undeniable advantages of contact lenses for presbyopia are as follows:
- excellent vision at different distances;
- aesthetic appearance;
- practicality – in lenses you can go in for sports, be active without fear of breaking them;
- if the lens is lost, it is easy to replace it, unlike glasses;
- Contact lenses have a wider lateral field of view than multifocal glasses.
Among the disadvantages of contact correction, the following can be noted:
- high cost;
- frequency of lens replacement;
- difficult period of addiction;
- some people may have an intolerance to contact lens material.
After evaluating all the pros and cons, you yourself can choose a comfortable option for vision correction, and do not forget to consult an ophthalmologist at the Eximer clinic.
Choosing contact lenses for presbyopia
Contact lenses for presbyopia can be fitted at an ophthalmologist’s office. To begin with, you will be given a comprehensive diagnosis and will determine if there are any contraindications to wearing lenses. After that, you need to find out the visual acuity and determine the diopters for both eyes.
Further selection is carried out depending on the individual characteristics of the patient’s eyes and his needs in everyday life.
Types of contact multifocal lenses
Contact lenses are divided into several types, with respect to different parameters.
By the number of optical zones:
- Bifocal. Provide good vision only in two zones – far and near.
- Multifocal or progressive lenses have many optical zones, provide good vision at all distances with a smooth transition between zones.
Regarding the replacement period, there are:
- daily contact lenses that need to be changed every day;
- monthly lenses – the most popular option with a replacement period every 30 days;
- lenses that need to be changed every 3-6 months.
The structure of contact lenses is:
- Bifocal. The near vision zone is located at the bottom of the lens, and the upper zone is designed for distance vision. Such products must be clearly fixed on the pupil, otherwise the zones will shift. Therefore, there is a small cut at the bottom of the lens.
- Concentric bifocal lenses with alternating optical zones in a circle. Manufacturers place different zones in the center of the lens. Products do not require a clear fixation and can rotate, providing good vision.
- Aspherical lenses. The strength of refraction varies from the center to the periphery. The central zone provides good near vision.
Monovision is a contact lens option for presbyopia
Very often, doctors recommend monovision tactics to patients using contact lenses. The essence of this method lies in the fact that the main visual load falls on the leading eye.
To correct vision in this way, a presbyopic lens is inserted into one eye and a myopic lens into the other. Depending on the needs, the patient alternately uses one or the other eye.
Which lenses correct presbyopia in the Eximer ophthalmological center
After the doctor at the Eximer Ophthalmological Center has performed a vision diagnosis, you can be offered the following options for contact multifocal lenses:
- Bausch & Lomb “Pure Vision”. “Pure Vision 2 Presbyopia” contact lenses have a three-zone progressive structure, made of silicone hydrogel, which transmits oxygen three times higher than other soft lenses. The optics are designed for a month of wearing, it is recommended to remove the lenses after 16 hours of continuous use. They have a smooth, rounded edge for a good fit and soft interaction with the eye. Suitable for people leading an active lifestyle. It uses a patented technology to reduce glare and ghosting when looking at a light source.
- Bausch&Lomb “Soflens Multifocal” are hydrogel lenses. They are aspherical, allow you to see at different distances, the replacement period is 1 month.
Cooper Vision “Biofinity Multifocal” – lenses from the leading American optics manufacturer. The technology used in the manufacture of Aquaform, which allows you to retain moisture in the lens and helps better penetration of oxygen to the eye. This ensures wearing comfort and reduces the need for eye drops.
- Biofinity are designed for a month of continuous wear, you can leave them even at night, but you should consult an ophthalmologist if you want to wear them in this way. The special silicone hydrogel material is protected from the accumulation of protein deposits.
- Alcon – lenses for age-related farsightedness. Air Optix plus Hydra Glyde Multifocal – lenses designed for a month of wear. In a prolonged mode, they can be left on for 7 days and 6 nights after a preliminary consultation with an ophthalmologist. The lenses are made of high quality silicone hydrogel, suitable for those who experience constant dry eyes with contact correction.
- Daily contact lenses. They have all the qualities of professional optics, but differ in the replacement period. They need to be changed every day. Some doctors consider such lenses more hygienic and practical. Among such optics, our clinic offers Biotra presbyopia lenses from Bausch & Lomb, as well as Alcon “Dailies”.
All contact lenses have high quality materials, provide comfortable vision after adaptation to them. If you have not yet used the contact method of correction, the ophthalmologist himself places the lenses in your eyes and teaches you how to do it in the future.
Tips for wearing contact lenses for presbyopia
Recommendations from professional ophthalmologists for multifocal lens wearers:
- Use moisturizing eye drops at bedtime and before putting on lenses.
- Use drops once or twice a day to remove protein deposits on the lens to ensure clear images.
- Remove contact lenses at night unless extended wear is indicated in the instructions.
- Stick to clear terms for replacing lenses. Firstly, it is important for the quality of the optics itself, and secondly, for your eyes. If you wear dry lenses for too long, you can earn serious inflammation or provoke the development of pathology.
Be sure to visit an ophthalmologist every 6 months to monitor the progression of presbyopia and diagnose other changes in the eye.
Getting used to multifocal lenses
The period of adaptation directly depends on the characteristics of the physiology of the patient. The more “flexible” the brain perceives visual information, the easier it is to get used to.
The main task is to adapt to a quick change of focus when shifting your gaze to different optical zones – far, at close range. At first, while the brain centers are only getting acquainted with the new vision, objects and outlines are not clearly visible. Usually this period lasts up to 2 weeks. Gradually, the patient gets a clearer picture.
The most effective way to get used to your new vision faster is to wear lenses all day long. So you force the brain to adapt to the completely new rules of your vision. If you take breaks in wearing, the brain centers quickly return to the usual way of focusing.
Contraindications for multifocal contact lenses
If you have presbyopia, correction with progressive spectacle lenses, as well as contact lenses, is not possible in the following cases:
- the presence of cataracts and glaucoma;
- corneal damage;
- intolerance to contact lens material;
- inability to follow the rules for their care.
Any contraindications can be detected by an ophthalmologist during a consultation on the selection of contact lenses.
How else can you help the eyes with presbyopia
In addition to lenses, age-related farsightedness is now corrected with glasses, as well as laser vision correction. The unique German technology saw the world back in 2009. Today it is finally available in Ukraine at the Eximer clinic. Thanks to laser correction of presbyopia, the patient receives the highest quality parameters of vision at three distances – near, far and intermediate. There is no need to wear glasses or contact lenses after the operation. But 2-3 weeks before the correction, the doctor will recommend wearing lenses if you have never done this. So you can evaluate the final result of laser correction and get used to it faster.
Ordering lenses for age-related farsightedness
If you choose high-quality contact lenses for the correction of presbyopia, then their price can be high. Very often the cost depends on the manufacturer. Although contact correction is considered a relatively expensive method, it is practical and aesthetic. Therefore, many people prefer to wear contact lenses with age-related farsightedness.
You can buy contact lenses for presbyopia in Ukraine at the nearest optician. But you can choose the most comfortable option only in a professional ophthalmological center. In the Eximer clinic, you can not only undergo diagnostics, choose lenses, but also purchase them. Contact the phone number listed on the site!